What Is Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy is care that aims to ease pain and help you function, move, and live better.
Your doctor might suggest this type of treatment if you’ve had an injury or illness that makes it hard to do daily tasks. You may need it to:
- Relieve pain
- Improve movement or ability
- Prevent or recover from a sports injury
- Prevent disability or surgery
- Rehab after a stroke, accident, injury, or surgery
- Work on balance to prevent a slip or fall
- Manage a chronic illness like diabetes, heart disease, or arthritis
- Recover after you give birth
- Control your bowels or bladder
- Adapt to an artificial limb
- Learn to use assistive devices like a walker or cane
- Get a splint or brace
People of all ages get massage therapy. It can treat a variety of health problems.
The Athlete’s Guild provides a range of massage therapies that include: