Swedish massage techniques include: long strokes, kneading, friction, tapping, percussion, vibration, effleurage, and shaking motions. Swedish massage is primarily a relaxation style massage that can be enjoyed by all ages.
The usual sequence of techniques are:
- Effleurage: Gliding strokes with the palms, thumbs and/or fingertips.
Other technique variations can include:
- Petrissage: Kneading movements with the hands, thumbs and/or fingers
- Friction: Circular pressures with the palms of hands, thumbs and/or fingers
- Vibration: Oscillatory movements that shake or vibrate the body
- Percussion: Brisk hacking or tapping
- Passive and Active Movements: Bending and stretching